About Me

I'm a writer in Los Angeles, with more than my share of the struggle to get free. I've written screenplays, two children's books,articles for the New York Times and published a novel, Restraint, an erotic thriller. I have a master's degree from Harvard Divinity School. This blog is a ongoing record of what I've learned, what I'm learning and what I'm still realizing I need to know, as I work my way toward change.

Monday, July 16, 2018

TIME, AS WE BOB ALONG

My high school friend, Abby, married an Israeli I introduced her to the summer we were 18, and went to live in Israel. We've been in touch sporadically over the years and she called a few days ago to tell me it was their 55th wedding anniversary...so astounding a number I can barely take it in. In high school, Abby and I were best friends with 2 other girls - Carole and Felice...Carole died a few months ago and on impulse, I called Felice yesterday - we hadn't spoken in something like 8 years - but very quickly fell into a very animated conversation that almost immediately was about our internal lives. She had reconnected with Carole after many years thru a spiritual group they both were part of, went to the funeral...and now so many memories come flooding in, things I may never have remembered but for the phone call, memories that now are beautiful and rich...Somehow, all this makes me feel that time doesn't exist, not in the linear way we think - that we're all always circling and spiraling, ready to connect as if no time has passed - because time doesn't pass - it expands, widens inside us as we bob along...and from time to time, I feel I have more than my infinitesimal arc, my instant in the flow, but have all time within me, accessible, felt...delicious...

No comments:

Post a Comment