About Me

I'm a writer in Los Angeles, with more than my share of the struggle to get free. I've written screenplays, two children's books,articles for the New York Times and published a novel, Restraint, an erotic thriller. I have a master's degree from Harvard Divinity School. This blog is a ongoing record of what I've learned, what I'm learning and what I'm still realizing I need to know, as I work my way toward change.

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

ADVENTURE AND JOURNEY

A group of us were talking about the difference between adventure and journey. I immediately thought of the hero (or heroine) starting out on an adventure. An adventure may have a destination but it will be filled with unexpected and threatening challenges. The wind will blow the ship off course. The forest will grow so thick it will hide the trail. Accepting and conquering the unpredictable is what adventure is all about - testing yourself, surviving, coming through.
      Surviving the tests adventure brings actually has a deeper level of meaning. It's the story of the hero's inner journey, of how he is changed by experience, possibly moving from childishness to maturity or from illusion to wisdom.  It's the story under the story and it puts us in touch with the universal mysteries of life and death, good and evil. This is the story in which we see ourselves reflected. We may not act out adventures on a grand scale, but we all make that inner journey, challenged by the experiences life brings. ADVEB 

No comments:

Post a Comment