About Me

I'm a writer in Los Angeles, with more than my share of the struggle to get free. I've written screenplays, two children's books,articles for the New York Times and published a novel, Restraint, an erotic thriller. I have a master's degree from Harvard Divinity School. This blog is a ongoing record of what I've learned, what I'm learning and what I'm still realizing I need to know, as I work my way toward change.

Friday, October 21, 2016

DYLAN'S COHORT, AND MINE

Statisticians and demographers often use the term “cohort,” to mean a group of individuals who share a common characteristic. It can be economic level, years of education or just about anything else that can be measured. By the measurement of age, Bob Dylan and I are in the same cohort.  I’m a couple of years younger but the Age of Dylan is my age as well.
When I heard that he’s won the Nobel Prize, I realized that for a while now, what I mean by “Dylan” has undergone a change. For years, I meant the Dylan of the beginning, when we were young, and he caught the perfect wave of those early Sixties changing times. Music burrows into us, sets up its banners and tents, a permanent encampment, and stirs us in a way no other art form can.  For someone like me, a fan who never became a fanatic, those songs mean something more than “Dylan.” They’re my own personal worm hole  – just a few opening chords and I’m back in the time of my time, all youth and optimism, when, Bliss it was in that dawn to be alive but to be young was very heaven! Time has shown we were naïve about how easy it would be to change the world, but it’s also shown that we were right – about civil rights, being against the war, all war, and the values of what came to be called the counter-culture. The authenticity of our ideals is still there in the authenticity of the songs.
But beginning about ten years ago, around the time our cohort was more or less on the line of sixty-five, another “Dylan” began to take shape. That year, I found myself buying Modern Times, the first album of his in years that I actually paid money for. I wanted it because it was evidence that after all these years, with a lifetime of all kinds of experience, Dylan is still the real deal. He’s still at it, fifty years later committed to doing the work he was meant to do with the energy to keep turning out some of his best songs. I’m continually surprised by how much that means to me. But that’s the Dylan I’ve come to love, the one who has stayed righteous and true, the one who is still going strong.
 Dylan has always hated strangers assuming they know who he is; he hates being a symbol for anything or anyone. But he must know it’s unavoidable. I’ll use another word. Representative. Dylan is a representative of our cohort, our generation. He represents our tribe, and more than represents; he’s completely embedded in our own thinking about ourselves. That must be why, when I heard about the Prize, I felt as if we’d all won it, felt it as an acknowledgement and validation of our own particular Age, of who we were at the beginning, what we’ve been through, and who we are now.  
For years, Dylan has been on the Never Ending Tour, playing for thousands of people, hiding in plain sight. He’s the Lone Ranger, drifting into town to do some good and gone before you know it and you’ve never even seen his face. Of course, the Tour eventually will end, as will all our own private tours. That fact is always there, a slow train moving closer as it ambles down the track. Well, even though it’s getting there, it isn’t dark yet. There’s still energy to do work, make connections and find our own meaningful metaphors. There’s time to give and feel love. Time to keep going strong. Of course, there’s only one wish for us in that time. May we stay forever young.


No comments:

Post a Comment