About Me

I'm a writer in Los Angeles, with more than my share of the struggle to get free. I've written screenplays, two children's books,articles for the New York Times and published a novel, Restraint, an erotic thriller. I have a master's degree from Harvard Divinity School. This blog is a ongoing record of what I've learned, what I'm learning and what I'm still realizing I need to know, as I work my way toward change.

Monday, December 28, 2015

THE POSSIBILITY OF A NEW PERSPECTIVE

Years ago, my days were pretty much filled with nothing but anxiety.  A terrible tension, as if it were 3 o'clock in the morning and I had to figure out everything by dawn or else some unknown phantom would take me out and shoot me. It didn't matter how I tried to calm or distract myself - fear of some undefined future, dread of the abyss I was certain was up ahead kept me in a paralysis of indecision -- how could I choose anything when that choice might be a fatal error, a mistake which would consign me to a lifetime of loneliness and failure?

Then one day I was talking to some friends and someone said, "One day at a time."  Such a cliche, I thought, but for some reason the words stuck. \ I heard, really heard them, and with a jolt, my constant inner tension gave way to a new realization.  If I actually saw my life as one day at a time, it meant I didn't have to be haunted by the failures and mistakes of the past, and I didn't have to live in dread of whatever was to come.  I could focus on the present, a place where one action leads to another and then another.  No choice could be fatal or final; it would only lead to a new set of circumstances out of which I would make new choices.  Each action was part of a continuum, the slow unfolding of my life.  An image of the abyss had been constantly in front of me, I thought it could engulf me and so I feared a fatal error, the possibility of complete destruction.  But the sense of a continuum which was now opening out felt like solid ground, a path made up of events and accidents and the unforeseen and the wonderfully unexpected, all of it grist for the mill of my ongoing evolution.  There was spaciousness in the unfolding, ample room for steady deep breaths.

On that day, I began to find a new perspective from which to view and understand my experience.  The overarching image of the abyss began to give way to the image of the continuum unfolding day by day.  I began to understand that the circumstances of my life might not change, but my view of those circumstances could be transformed.

It is this I keep coming back to: out of the miraculous consciousness our brains give rise to, we always have the possibility of a new perspective, a new idea
which can set us free.

No comments:

Post a Comment