About Me

I'm a writer in Los Angeles, with more than my share of the struggle to get free. I've written screenplays, two children's books,articles for the New York Times and published a novel, Restraint, an erotic thriller. I have a master's degree from Harvard Divinity School. This blog is a ongoing record of what I've learned, what I'm learning and what I'm still realizing I need to know, as I work my way toward change.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

WHAT WOULD IT FEEL LIKE?

One day, in the middle of a deep depression, I was lying on my bed staring at the ceiling when seemingly out of nowhere I found myself saying the words of the 23rd Psalm.  This was strange; I'm not at all religious but I suppose that psalm is in the zeitgeist and I'd absorbed it without my knowing.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures,
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul.

As I thought about the words, I suddenly heard the voice of the poet, of the man, probably King David, who had written those lines.  I heard his longing, his need for comfort. I felt the immediacy of his need across the centuries.
     I'd been in a very harsh place but those words made me wonder what it would be like if I was starving and came upon green pastures, or was thirsty and found cool waters.  Like an actor in a sense memory excercise, I imagined what it would feel like to be restored to some kind of equilibrium, not by something out there beyond my consciousness but by coming in touch with the part of me that could reach for well-being, the part of me that could come out from under and move into action.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of death,
I will fear no evil for Thou art with me...
And surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

I felt the poet's emotion and I heard the words as metaphor.  What would it be like to feel I wasn't alone and helpless, that there was at least the possibility of a refuge inside me, a place that was safe, a place I could count on?  I had made a deep connection with that human voice across the centuries, those words of longing and the search for solace, and the intensity of that connection released energy, a spark of hope.  It would take a long time for that hope to grow and transform into the certainty that comes from direct experience. But just a glimmer of hope was all that was needed to take the first step out of despair and doubt.



No comments:

Post a Comment