About Me

I'm a writer in Los Angeles, with more than my share of the struggle to get free. I've written screenplays, two children's books,articles for the New York Times and published a novel, Restraint, an erotic thriller. I have a master's degree from Harvard Divinity School. This blog is a ongoing record of what I've learned, what I'm learning and what I'm still realizing I need to know, as I work my way toward change.

Thursday, February 18, 2016

NO TRUTH

I believe as deeply as I believe anything that there is no Truth, only perspective. What I think is reality is only one possible interpretation of what is, what could be. I have vivid examples of how, over time, my opinion has changed.  My memories are altered by how I and life change over time. Nothing is fixed, unalterable. The ability to revise, awaken, evolve, to change, is the glory of human consciousness, human spirit.
     And yet over and over again I fall away from those beliefs and buy into the "reality" of whatever is in front of me. I hear the negative voices in my head as speaking the Truth. I censor my opportunities and then believe that censorship. When my mind says, why bother, or, what's the point, I think that's the truth so in fact why bother, there is no point. 
     Of course, we couldn't function if we didn't accept there are "really real realities" we live in and by. We need a certain clarity of vision that depends on fixed ideas and things. But that vision is only useful if it enables us to live more fully and productively. We need guideposts and landmarks to navigate the world.
     But there is a world of perception that isn't useful or productive. That world is filled with every no I say to myself, every habit that defeats me before I begin, every negative story I tell myself about who I am and who I can be. This is the world that imprisons me and limits all that I am capable of doing.
     I keep coming back to this idea - there is no Truth, only perspective - because I need to remind myself again and again that the negative world in my head isn't the true one, that my thoughts have no other reality but the reality I confer upon them, that there are limitless potentialities in me. When I remember this I feel the possibility of freedom, and though I have to keep reminding myself of it, it's there for me to find again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment