About Me

I'm a writer in Los Angeles, with more than my share of the struggle to get free. I've written screenplays, two children's books,articles for the New York Times and published a novel, Restraint, an erotic thriller. I have a master's degree from Harvard Divinity School. This blog is a ongoing record of what I've learned, what I'm learning and what I'm still realizing I need to know, as I work my way toward change.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

SELF-PITY: THE SEDUCTIVE VOICE

I was thinking about a man I knew a long time ago.  I've kept track of him and he seems to be living the life I've wanted for myself - enormously successful and moving in the very top circles in his field, a long and close marriage, children and, of course, tons of money.
     Sometimes I've used him as a cudgel against myself.  See what he has? What he's accomplished? Now look at your life - what have you done, how far have you gotten, you're a failure in every way. It's a voice that plays over and over again and I let myself be seduced by it even though I know that comparing someone's outsides to my insides is always a losing game. 
     It took me a long time to realize that voice is my version of self-pity. Its only purpose is to make me feel sorry for myself. Poor, poor me, look how pathetic I am. When that voice is on me, I can't shake an image of myself turning from the light as if I don't deserve its warmth. It's a self-perpetuating loop - the more I feel sorry for myself, the sorrier I feel for myself. And I think that is the purpose behind the purpose: as long as I submerge myself in that swamp of self-pity, I don't have to act. I can stay in the darkness, alone and despairing, and not take a risk or challenge myself to move forward or work hard to bring about change. Self-pity lets me off the hook.
     Once I recognized this voice as self-pity I began to be able to work with it. Naming it gives me a way to step back from it, to see that it isn't something that's bigger than me. Yes, it's a huge ball but if I'm patient I can make it smaller and smaller, until it's small enough to put it in my pocket. I may carry it with me but it doesn't get in my way.




No comments:

Post a Comment