About Me

I'm a writer in Los Angeles, with more than my share of the struggle to get free. I've written screenplays, two children's books,articles for the New York Times and published a novel, Restraint, an erotic thriller. I have a master's degree from Harvard Divinity School. This blog is a ongoing record of what I've learned, what I'm learning and what I'm still realizing I need to know, as I work my way toward change.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

THE BONDAGE OF SELF, AGAIN

I've been thinking all day about the bondage of self. It's been one of those days when I believe what the voices in my head are telling me. One of those days when I am nothing but resistance, against all the things I need to do, against moving in any way, internally and externally. One of those days when I can't seem to fight against shame and the spectre of a hundred failures. One of those days, despite my believing so deeply that I'm constructing a prison of my own making. I alone confer meaning on my experience. I know this in my bones and still I have days when I let my harshest thoughts become "real," as if they are beyond my control.
     The bondage of self...sometimes I feel I can break the chains I bind myself up in. I imagine soaring like an eagle, riding on gentle breezes that will never fail to keep me aloft. I imagine that freedom will last forever. I imagine I won't have to work for the only freedom I will ever feel.
     I know better. I, very few of us, will walk into another dimension where all will be free and easy. So I remind myself that the eagle must look for food, as I must look for ways to chip at my chains. Sometimes I feel like a rabbit in a burrow, pushing a rock forward inch by inch, unable to see around it. Then the rock falls away and I find myself exactly where I want to be, or maybe it's better to say I want to be exactly where I find myself.
     Then the cycle begins again. I build another prison and work to break free. Even on days like today, when I'm nothing but resistance, I know great wheels are turning inside me and I'll be willing to push the rock again. Not like Sisyphus, as a punishment, but as a woman who knows from direct experience that the rock will fall away, that moments of freedom are possible for me. 
          

No comments:

Post a Comment