About Me

I'm a writer in Los Angeles, with more than my share of the struggle to get free. I've written screenplays, two children's books,articles for the New York Times and published a novel, Restraint, an erotic thriller. I have a master's degree from Harvard Divinity School. This blog is a ongoing record of what I've learned, what I'm learning and what I'm still realizing I need to know, as I work my way toward change.

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

ITCH

Sometimes in meditation I feel an itch. I like the challenge of not moving so I've learned to focus on wherever the itch is, and in focusing, I feel it disappear. Don't scratch the itch - it's a metaphor for life. How many times has something made me uncomfortable and I've rushed to chase it away? I so quickly want to get away from irritation and pain. But sometimes it's better to sit with it, let it develop and see where it leads. 
     When I'm in the right place, I know that all information, all events, are neutral, neither good nor bad. They are filled with something to teach me, if only I suspend judgment and allow myself to accept what is. An itch doesn't necessarily need to be scratched; it can be accepted, studied, focused upon until it dissolves away.

No comments:

Post a Comment