About Me

I'm a writer in Los Angeles, with more than my share of the struggle to get free. I've written screenplays, two children's books,articles for the New York Times and published a novel, Restraint, an erotic thriller. I have a master's degree from Harvard Divinity School. This blog is a ongoing record of what I've learned, what I'm learning and what I'm still realizing I need to know, as I work my way toward change.

Monday, March 7, 2016

SURRENDER, ALWAYS SURRENDER

So many people I know are having a hard time just now. All kinds of problems - health, money, family relations. When things are difficult and the future unpredictable, it's easy to get caught in fear and anxiety, and even when you have experience quieting the demons, so much energy goes into detaching and connecting with the part of me that knows I'll be all right no matter what.
     It surprises me that when I think of dire possibilities in the future, I feel I will adjust, accept what is and be all right. When I'm hard on myself I label this attitude nothing but fatalism or resignation. But most of the time I know it's the result of many surrenders, the kind that come I give up fighting the things I can't change. When I surrender, I feel an expansion inside; giving up demands and expectations, quieting my relentless ego makes room for a connection to the world outside me and the nourishing energy inside.
     I want to remind myself every day of the expansiveness of surrender.  More than remind, I want to close my eyes, take deep breaths and actually feel the expansion and energy. As a beginning, I will cultivate the willingness to give myself that gift.
      


No comments:

Post a Comment