About Me

I'm a writer in Los Angeles, with more than my share of the struggle to get free. I've written screenplays, two children's books,articles for the New York Times and published a novel, Restraint, an erotic thriller. I have a master's degree from Harvard Divinity School. This blog is a ongoing record of what I've learned, what I'm learning and what I'm still realizing I need to know, as I work my way toward change.

Sunday, January 10, 2016

A SIGH IS JUST A SIGH

All afternoon, as I trudged through a very tired day, I found myself sighing.  It occurred to me that sighs are actually interesting.  Even though a sigh is half inhale and half exhale, it's different that deep breathing or the inhale/exhale of meditation. When I sigh, at the moment inhale becomes exhale, I make a sound as I push out the breath, or even murmur, "Oh, my."  
     That sigh wants to be heard.  It's a signal: I'm tired and oppressed with how much I have to do, or how little the world is rewarding me, how much I have to resign myself to. Even when I sigh when I'm alone, it's my way of asking the world for a metaphorical hug, a comforting pat on the back, at least an acknowledgement that poor pitiful me is in need of sympathy.  
     Saying all that has made me sigh. It was a deep one, and long; I managed to release some of the tension in my chest and that feels great. Of course, I know the tension will be back but I'll deal with it.  I can always sigh again.

No comments:

Post a Comment