About Me

I'm a writer in Los Angeles, with more than my share of the struggle to get free. I've written screenplays, two children's books,articles for the New York Times and published a novel, Restraint, an erotic thriller. I have a master's degree from Harvard Divinity School. This blog is a ongoing record of what I've learned, what I'm learning and what I'm still realizing I need to know, as I work my way toward change.

Saturday, January 2, 2016

PEELING THE EGG

Every morning, I make myself two hard boiled eggs. When I peel the shell, I see a thin membrane and if I catch that membrane the shell peels off easily.  If I don't catch it, the egg winds up with gouges and they're in the white which I particularly like.
     There are some people who seem to always catch the membrane.  Their lives, at least from the outside, look smooth.  They have success, money, a solid, long term relationship, children; they look like they've done everything right and been very lucky.
     There are other people and I'm one of the one.  Sometimes I catch the membrane and things go very right; sometimes I make a mess of things and things go very wrong. But, despite appearances, I don't think anyone gets out of this life without some gouges and bruises, without some suffering, loss and regrets. It's the way of the world, part of the human condition.
     All I can do is be careful and pay attention.  I can let the eggs cool enough for the membrane to contract. I can crack the shell at the bottom, where there's an air pocket, and with just enough force to avoid the shell itself digging into the eggs. Then I can take care when I begin peeling so that I don't use too much pressure. If I do all that, the shell comes off easily and I get to enjoy the egg.
     Catching the membrane isn't rocket science.  It just takes reminding myself to pay attention, focus and have patience.




No comments:

Post a Comment