About Me

I'm a writer in Los Angeles, with more than my share of the struggle to get free. I've written screenplays, two children's books,articles for the New York Times and published a novel, Restraint, an erotic thriller. I have a master's degree from Harvard Divinity School. This blog is a ongoing record of what I've learned, what I'm learning and what I'm still realizing I need to know, as I work my way toward change.

Monday, January 25, 2016

ANONYMITY

There are different kinds of anonymity.  There's the anonymity a celebrity uses to protect privacy or a web trawler uses because be doesn't want opinions traced back to him or a 12 step group member uses because recovery is private, both for the member and the 12 step program's public face.
     There's another kind of anonymity that is an aspect of selflessness.  The actions in this anonymity don't need recognition for generosity or good deeds or kindness. In fact, the person acting with the desire for this kind of anonymity draws satisfaction not only from the act itself but also from the actual rejection of recognition. To go unseen and unacknowledged when giving, to seek out that kind of anonymity, can contain the delight of keeping a grand secret. But there's something much deeper, a confidence in self, in your own being.  You don't need outside approval; there is no insecurity that needs another's applause. 
     It's another of the paradoxes that confidence should be a part of selflessness. It seems that confidence, security in your being, is a prerequisite for taking,actions performed in anonymity.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment