About Me

I'm a writer in Los Angeles, with more than my share of the struggle to get free. I've written screenplays, two children's books,articles for the New York Times and published a novel, Restraint, an erotic thriller. I have a master's degree from Harvard Divinity School. This blog is a ongoing record of what I've learned, what I'm learning and what I'm still realizing I need to know, as I work my way toward change.

Saturday, January 16, 2016

FREEDOM IN EVOLUTION

Returning to Basho: everyday is a journey and the journey itself is home...at home in the flow, in the constantly arising present...
     All models of evolution appeal to me.  Anchored in the always changing, all things contingent and in motion...
     This is why people are still fighting against Darwin, against an evolutionary model.  Many people want to hold to what they believe is eternal, written in stone, unchanging. The idea that everything is in motion terrifies them or at least makes them seasick; their way of being rooted (so different from mine) is to attach to what they believe is solid and predictable. Attachment to what is unchanging makes them feel safe. It's the conservative personality.
     My safety is in the constantly evolving world and my place in it. Nothing is solid in my being and that is freedom - my perspective and attitudes are all liable to change, which means that I can go through the looking glass and experience black turning to white, negativity turning to optimism, fear turning to faith. Evolving consciousness means that I can awaken at any time and have the possibility of liberation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment