About Me

I'm a writer in Los Angeles, with more than my share of the struggle to get free. I've written screenplays, two children's books,articles for the New York Times and published a novel, Restraint, an erotic thriller. I have a master's degree from Harvard Divinity School. This blog is a ongoing record of what I've learned, what I'm learning and what I'm still realizing I need to know, as I work my way toward change.

Thursday, January 7, 2016

TEMPERAMENT

I've been thinking about the power of temperament.  Some people naturally gravitate toward conservative ideas and structures while others gravitate toward liberal ideas and a less regimented life.  By nature...is temperament something we're born with?  And if it is, can we change it?  And if we can change it, how?  
     There are no concrete answers to those questions but the exploration, an ever-widening exploration, leads from an intellectual description into the deepest part of me, the part that feels despair that no amount of change will lead me where I want to go, and the part that chooses to have faith that I can get, not completely free, but freer so I can act.  
    That isn't exactly a matter of temperament; it has also to do with upbringing, the traits that are imprinted on us by our experience.  But by temperament, I gravitate toward change and evolution.  I want to do what I can to cultivate that predisposition, to have faith in its possibilities and allow that faith to carry me forward.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment