About Me

I'm a writer in Los Angeles, with more than my share of the struggle to get free. I've written screenplays, two children's books,articles for the New York Times and published a novel, Restraint, an erotic thriller. I have a master's degree from Harvard Divinity School. This blog is a ongoing record of what I've learned, what I'm learning and what I'm still realizing I need to know, as I work my way toward change.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

GANDHI AND SIGNIFICANCE

I have a tee-shirt stuffed away on a closet shelf. Someone gave it to me years ago, it's never fit and I've never worn it.  But I can't throw it away because on the front is a drawing of Gandhi and a quote: What you do may be insignificant but it is very important that you do it.
     So simple, so direct.  I have very little control over the outcome of my actions.  What I do may have very little effect. But it's very important that I act in whatever way I can - to protest injustice, to maintain integrity, to have the courage to face my personal demons and defects. 
     Here is the freeing thought: the real importance of my life isn't in what the world tells me I've achieved but in my working to achieve it.  My sense of worth, of fulfillment, comes from what I do in any given day to deepen my connection to the world and the energy inside me, to practice kindness and compassion, to work toward goals I believe in and do the work I want to do. I don't know where it all will lead in the future but if I do my best on this day, I know the satisfaction I will feel when I close my eyes tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment